Friday, April 25, 2008

Switching 'wiches at 'wichcraft

IMG_2576.JPG
I'd heard a lot about the great, albeit expensive sandwiches at 'wichcraft, and when SYB dropped by my office for lunch (and to lend me his iBook) we went for a quick meal at the 20th Street location. 'wichcraft uses cute markers for servers to deliver orders to tables; as you can see, we got Tea and Mayo as ours.
IMG_2585.JPG
I decided to get the grilled Gruyère, which came on rye bread with caramelized onions. It was good, of course, but I also realized after it arrived that I could have made this exact same sandwich myself. And if it were up to me, I would have added another sweet or acidic element to this sandwich to cut its richness. The caramelized onions were nice, but they weren't much of a presence.
Chicken club, 'wichcraft
SYB and I decided to swap sandwich halves (I love eating with food friends) and his choiceroasted turkey paired with avocado, bacon, onion relish, and aioli on a ciabatta rollwas tasty though not mind-blowing. A good sandwich, for me, is one where the ingredients combine to become better than the sum of its parts, and while I could tell that each element was of high quality, the whole did not become something extraordinary.

I'd say 'wichcraft is a decent choice if you don't mind the prices; it's not exactly a rip-off, but their offerings aren't bargains, either. For me, I would just as soon skip the place and layer on the turkey myself
.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Not many sandwiches out there that we can't just make ourselves.

    ReplyDelete