Monday, May 19, 2008

Truckin' it with Wafels & Dinges

IMG_3567.JPG
What's not to love about a food truck? Especially one that gives birth to waffles?

Wafels & Dinges
is one of a trio of mobile sweets-vendors that roam around the city, the other two being the Dessert Truck and the Treats Truck (neither of which I've tried). I was making a quick run to the Trader Joe's in Union Square during the late afternoon, and spotted the mustard-yellow vehicle parked right in front.
IMG_3574.JPG
The menu boasts that their leige waffle is "packed with sugar pearls," and since I had just gotten a packet of pearl sugar from Ikea (thanks AT), I decided to see what something made with the stuff was like. These were pre-made, so when I placed my order, the vendor took one from the stack to heat up on the iron.

The waffle was dense and sweet, and being crisped-chewy-dough-with-powdered-sugar-on-top, made me think of MH and I's beloved beignets. It seemed like it could have been hotter and with a better crust, but I don't know anything about what liege waffles are supposed to really be like. In any case, I enjoyed the mild crunch of the sugar pearls throughout the waffle, and it was gone by the time I made it back to my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment