Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chili with a Spanish kick

IMG_3465
Faced with a growing amount of aging veggies, canned goods, and frozen meat, I decided it was time to clean out my kitchen with a recipe that would knock out some of the oldest. I knew I wanted to use some canned pinto beans and Italian sausage I'd had for a while, as well as the bag of roasted poblano peppers I had purchased over eight months earlier from the Fort Collins Downtown Farmer's Market and kept frozen. For me, those three items spelled chili.

Not that I have any idea what makes a proper chili, but into my batch went the sausage, pinto beans, and peppers, as well as diced tomato, garlic, onion, celery, green pepper, carrots, tomato paste, and several large handfuls of chopped cilantro that had arrived the week before in my CSA share. That did a pretty good job of cleaning out my vegetable drawer, but then I realized I didn't know how to season the chili. After looking at what spices I had in my pantry, I ended up using several shakes of Goya Adobo and three packets of Goya Sazón.

The resulting chili/stew was thick with vegetables and had rich, smoky flavor from the sausage and poblanos, as well as an extra boost from the Spanish seasonings. I ate it with pieces of toasted bread, mixed it into pasta, and had it over rice. The chili went with pretty much everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment