Monday, July 13, 2009

Blueberry-yogurt somethingcakes

IMG_3310
Sometimes, I have no idea what the difference is between a muffin, a cake, and a cupcake. Sure, there are basic concepts—a cupcake has frosting, a muffin is less sweet, and a cake is, well, bigger than the both of them. But what about when I'm baking cake batter in a loaf pan, and I have too much batter, and I pour the rest into cupcake/muffin liners? I don't whip up a frosting for the little guys, which makes them look like muffins. But they're sweeter than muffins, and made with the exact same ingredients as the thing I'm calling cake (or a loaf). So what should I name these? Cupfins? Mufcakes? Cakefins?
IMG_3318
For these blueberry-yogurt (blanks) I used Smitten Kitchen's recipe (note: she's calling hers a cake), and it yielded one moist, dense loaf and twelve slightly flat (blanks). For both varieties I sprinkled the surface batter with pearl sugar before baking, which lent the tops an awesome sweet crunch.

By the way, why can't I get my baked goods to rise properly? Every time I've baked muffins/cupcakes, they spread out instead of rise. Bakers, what am I doing wrong?
IMG_3343
I brought the loaf to a birthday celebration later that evening, but felt sort of like I was offering a breakfast item for dinner. Cake, muffin, loaf, cupcake…I give up. Whatever it was that I baked it tasted good, and that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment