Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring Break Shenanigans, Part 3: Rodizio Grill, Suehiro

Catch up! Part 1 and Part 2
IMG_1820 IMG_1833
IMG_1839 IMG_1841
Our first meal of the day was at Rodizio Grill, a Brazilian restaurant that had opened up not long ago in an old train station building. Since I wrote an article about it for the Coloradoan, check out my writeup here! (Um, and I'd just like to emphasize that I did not come up with that "You'll be glad you said yes to this experience" line.) The food was quite good, and both of us were stuffed by the time we left. I felt certain we wouldn't need another meal.

But after a day of shopping, running errands, and bumming around town, the clock struck eight and we found our stomachs rumbling again. In the mood for something light, I suggested Suehiro, a Japanese restaurant that had been consistently voted as one of the best in Fort Collins. As we drove to Old Town to where the restaurant was located, I had no idea what a depressing meal we were headed for.
IMG_1843
It began auspiciously enough, with bowls of miso soup brimming with chunks of tofu, and a pickled carrot and cucumber salad that was a welcome change from the ubiquitous iceberg lettuce with carrot-ginger dressing I was expecting.
IMG_1846
And our $24 Sushi Boat looked pretty good, too, with tuna and cucumber rolls, California rolls, crab rolls, and tuna, yellowtail, egg, shrimp, scallop, salmon, crab, octopus, halibut, and eel nigiri.
IMG_1844
Even the Sunset Roll, eel and cucumber with avocado on top, seemed promising.

But once we started eating, the excitement died. The fish was—not unfresh, exactly, but not really fresh, either. The Sunset Roll came in a pool of sauce which completely overwhelmed the rice, avocado, and eel. And the rolls were so badly constructed and sloppy looking I concluded I could do much better myself. Our chopsticks moved from the plate to our mouths at a slower and slower place. Finally, midway through, TL put down his chopsticks and looked at me. "Bleh," he said, and I couldn't have agreed more.

The service here was super friendly, and I felt bad directing our waitress to throw out the rest of the sushi, but that's exactly what we did. She seemed concerned about our lack of enthusiasm, but it wasn't her fault. The place had served up some seriously mediocre food and neither of us wanted any more of it.

Both of us were in low spirits from eating such a bad meal, so we went home, ate some more chocolate cake, and headed out to see Watchmen in an attempt to cheer ourselves up. And while I didn't think much of the movie—I ended up falling asleep for the first third, and then giggling at its absurdity for the remainder—at least it wasn't depressing. Thank goodness.

Spring Break Shenanigans
Part 1: Braving the Road for Seoul BBQ
Part 2: Pikes Peak donuts, Phantom Canyon Brewing Company
Part 3: Rodizio Grill, Suehiro
Part 4: Dim sum at Star Kitchen, Red Robin redux
Part 5: Farmer's Table, Han Kang Korean Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment