Friday, September 12, 2008

Canton Gourmet: (Fried) rice and (string) beans

IMG_6970
Back to Canton Gourmet, not for the bland crab I wrote about last time (too huge for two people to experiment with again) but definitely for a repeat of the golden needle fried rice and to try some of their other dishes.
IMG_6968
TL picked out the string beans with minced pork, which was great. The plump, sweet string beans were tender and snappy at the same time; from the looks of their slightly blistered skins my guess is that they had been quickly blanched in hot oil prior to being stir-fried. Paired with minced pork and pungent, salty preserved radish, this dish was very xia fan, which is an description used in Mandarin when a dish is particularly satisfying with rice and makes you want to gobble it up.
IMG_6969
I added on the Peking pork chops, as I was in the mood for something junky and meaty (hey, I get cravings for General Tso's just like anyone else). These chops, while a little fatty, hit the spot and weren't too sweet or coated in sickly red sauce either.
IMG_6971
The rice, of course. I heart this rice. Can someone send me some over here in Colorado, please?

And yes, the picture I took the last time was way better. Damn you, lack of natural lighting.
IMG_6973
Along with the customary oranges we received a complimentary bowl of hot mung bean soup, sweet and perfect after our meal. With that, I was happy to conclude that Canton Gourmet had delivered the good stuff once again. Once I'm back in New York City, I'm demanding a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment