Friday, March 27, 2009

A sauce from bits and pieces, odds and ends

IMG_1494
Because I don't have a car, when a friend is kind enough to drive me to the supermarket I tend to stock up. And since friends who offer to take me grocery shopping appear far more often than I think they do, the result is that my cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer are often bursting with food. It's a perpetual effort to whittle down my supplies before the items start getting old.

So I feel great satisfaction when I can make a dish that uses up several languishing ingredients at once. Into this particular batch of pasta sauce went:

a pound of diced andouille, which had been in the freezer for two months;
a can of diced tomatoes, which had been in the pantry for three months;
half a can of tomato paste, frozen for one month;
the last of a container of finely diced celery, which hadn't made it into celery bread;
an aging head of garlic;
a large bundle of kale;
three softened plum tomatoes;
and the final Jonagold apple.

This last, when grated, melted invisibly into the sauce while lending a bit of sweetness; I might use that trick again. As for the rest, since most of this recipe was about using up random ingredients, chances of me creating this exact sauce again are slim. I'll just have to enjoy it while it's around.

No comments:

Post a Comment